Monday 11 February 2008

Bonkers Conkers

I was recently lucky to be interviewed by DoCrafts Sian Melonie for their Under the Spotlight feature. One of the questions was "What’s the best gift anyone’s given you?" and my answer was "A conker on a beautiful ribbon." So here's a photo of my beautiful conker, sent to me by wonderful nutty friend Jaffers.

As I'm not sure how long the interview will stay on the DoCrafts website I thought I'd record it here:


UNDER THE SPOTLIGHT

'do crafts' Sian Melonie puts freelance designer Claire Hamer Under the Spotlight.To not being tidy, to adoring all things bling...read on to find out what inspires Claire.


When and how did you get into crafting?
I needed a 60th birthday card for my Dad and couldn’t find anything suitable in the shops, so I decided to make him one. I was hooked!

What do you enjoy most about papercrafts?
I love trying new things and I’m always excited about new products.


What would you say your preferred style is?
This is always changing from very simple, to altered, to textured and many things in between.
When was the last time you crafted?
Today of course!

What gets you inspired?
Anything and everything. Music, décor, fashion, lettering and craft supplies.

If you were given £500, what would you spend it on?
I think I’d have to spend some of it on storage. I’m never tidy. I would also have a spending spree, with stamps at the top of my list.

How much do you spend on kit and supplies each month?
I daren’t think about it, especially with all the essentials like glue.

What have been some of your favourite projects you’ve created?
A gorgeous tag book for my sisters birthday, in zesty oranges and the wedding invitations and place settings for my sister-in-law, it was great to be part of the wedding.

Is there are a particular craft/ or craft trend you would like to pursue?
I’d love to do some jewellery making.

Where would you like to be in ten years time?
I’d love to own a great big studio where I could run workshops and have an organised workspace.

Do you have a nickname?
Yes most of my crafting friends know me as Ginger or MGC (Mad Ginger Claire)!

Favourite product?
Self adhesive stones - I love a bit of bling and all those colours.

Favourite accessory?
Jewellery, especially anything homemade.

Favourite Quote?
Only dull women have immaculate houses.

Favourite technique?
Rubber stamping. I love all the different ways you can use them and all the different effects you get.

What can't you live without?
Friends and family.

What can you live without?
Mean people.

Your basic essentials?
Trimmer, scissors, adhesive, white card.

Your biggest bug bear?
People who don’t appreciate handmade cards and gifts.

Who makes you smile?
Peter Kay.

Describe your perfect lost weekend.
A weekend away with my crafting buddies, with nothing to do but card make and scrapbook, with the odd glass of wine.

What’s the best gift anyone’s given you?
A conker on a beautiful ribbon.

Ideal way to spend a Sunday?
Crafting with someone else cooking me a Sunday lunch.

On what would you spend your last £10?
Anything sparkly.

What's top on your wish list?
Adhesive gems, so I never run out.

Who is your style role model? Why do you like his/ her style?
Anna Davenport, I love the way she works with colour.

Proudest moment?
Watching my sister graduate.

Your top tip?
Use the markings on your cutting mat when your sticking things together to get them lined up.

No comments:

Stat counter


View My Stats